Posted by switch-smith at 9:40 PM . Sunday, June 20, 2010
"An early modernist house designed in 1940 by Charles Warner, and neglected for many years was given a new life as a secondary residence for a Manhattan couple and their child. The original circulation and main features of the house were lost
when it was converted to a multiple dwelling. Assisted by the original plan, published in a MoMA guide to Modern Architecture in the Northeast States, the house was restored and functionally updated. An enclosed glass walkway facing a rear terrace was reconfigured to link the second floor living area to the exterior. A large stone fireplace was exposed on all sides opening the kitchen to the living
and dining areas. The house's most notable feature,a 45 foot long expanse of waist height windows, was adapted as a library for the owners extensive collection
Furnishing the interior are some really interesting pieces of 20th Century Modernism, including both a Pierre Paulin F 555 lounge chair and Mushroom chair, a beautiful Vladimir Kagan Omnibus sectional sofa, a brass Gino Sarfatti chandelier, an Eero Aarnio-style wicker patio set, a Borge Mogensen dining set, and a brightly upholstered sofa by Ole Gjerlov-Knudsen and Torben Lind.
Photos by by Dean Kaufman.
Via Ferlund + Logan.